I used to be a much more avid reader — I would spend my summer vacations reading all day. Sadly, when I graduated college, I was so overwhelmed by my 40-hour work weeks that I stopped reading for a while. I’ve since picked back up and started (unintentionally) this new thing where I read multiple books at once. I think they’re all slow to start, so I’m sure once I get into one I’ll stick with it until the end. So, yea, right now I’m reading an embarrassing amount of books to which I can’t seem to commit (though I’m sure that’s just me and they’re actually really good):
– Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan
– Dreams of Joy by Lisa See (She’s one of my favorite authors and writes about women in ancient to current China)
– The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy (My absolute favorite author, and author of my favorite book, South of Broad)
– The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri (another one of my favorite authors)
– Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (it’s doubling as research for my novel)
I think I’m going to try to finish The Prince of Tides first — my mom loved the book so much she almost named me Savannah, after one of the characters. After that will be Gone Girl, because I never read the book and refuse to see the movie until I do, and Lena Dunham’s Not That Kind of Girl because Lena Dunham. And my boss actually recommended Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer, which I feel I need to read, not because she’s my boss, but because I liked the sound of the plot and let’s be real, I like the title.
I could talk about books forever, but I’ll stop myself now out of courtesy to my readers.
IN THE COMMENTS: So…read any good books lately?